Saturday, August 13, 2011

International Left-Hander's Day - August 13

Happy Left-hander's Day from me!
Yes, I'm a lefty, a Southpaw.  For the last 40 years I've experienced all of the things only 7% of the world's population have ever experience. 

The DESKS I sat in in high school and college were the chairs with the small desk to the right.  I never faced forward in class because I always had to turn to the right to have a surface to write on.

The NOTEBOOKS I wrote in had that darned spiral.  No wonder lefties have such horrible handwriting.  That spiral always gets in the way.  I used to write on the back of my paper and start at the back of the book so the spiral was on the other side.

The SMUDGE HAND.  For those of you righty's, when you write your hand follows the ink.  It has a minute to dry before you get back to the left side of your paper so your hand doesn't run over the ink.  For a lefty, you are writing before your hand even crosses the paper.  Hence, the fabulous inked or leaded hand occurs. 

The CRAFT challenge.  My mother is right-handed.  It was such a challenge to learn to crochet, and do other crafts when what she was doing was with her right hand. I always had that urge to start needlepoint from the right.  Oh, and don't get me started with scissors!  Having to buy a special pair of scissors because getting a right handed pair to cut, is sometimes next to impossible.

The left-handed BATTER always has a challenge of learning to get their balls to head towards left field and not directly into the hands of the 1st baseman.  My son, who is a lefty, ran, naturally, to third base first the first time he got on the baseball field at the age of 3. 

The left-handed GOLFER.  Golf clubs are naturally very easy to find if they are right handed.  When I was a kid, we didn't have a lot of extra money to go spend on left-handed clubs.  I got my mom's hand-me-down right handed clubs.  It just didn't ever feel natural, so I didn't play much golf.  When I got married 12 years ago, my father-in-law, a former golf pro, found me a used pair of "lefty" clubs!  Eureka, I could actually hit the ball naturally.

Now, I know you all have heard that the right side of the brain, controls the left side of your body, and vice versa.  So, my consolation all these years is that I'm always in my right mind:)

So, if you know a lefty, be sure to give them a pat on the back today.  Sometimes it is really hard to be a lefty in a righty world.

http://www.squidoo.com/left-handers-day  For more fun facts about famous left-handers, and products, visit this website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...