Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Family History Day- June 14th

About 15 years ago, my Grandma, Dorothy Vanderwall, surprised me with this awesome family history book.
 It is a complete album of her memories, in her handwriting with lots of pictures of my great, great grandparents, and even my mom as a little girl. 
 I have treasured this for years.  I think sometimes we take for granted the time we spend with our relatives, and don't "interview"them about their lives.  Most of the time they are rich in history, some good and some bad.  Next time you get together with your family, just ask one of your elders questions.  You will be surprised how much you learn. The following are some fun questions my kids asked their 86 year old grandpa last Thanksgiving.
What was your 1st Car?
What sports did you play?
How big was the town you grew up in?
What was your first job?
When did you meet Grandma?
They still talk about the stories he shared with them.

I've started something fun for my daughter, Carolyn.  She is 7 1/2 and the chef of the family.  She has been cooking since she could scoot the chair up to the counter.  About 2 years ago I started her own cookbook.  I take pictures of her when we are cooking a recipe.  I bought this nice leather-bound album at our local scrapbook store to put the pictures and the hand written recipe in.

 We have about 20 recipes in the book so far.  I hope that someday when she leaves home, I can surprise her with this small family history of our favorite recipes we have cooked together and that she may treasure it as much as I've treasured my album.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...