Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Ice Cream Sandwich Cake - National Ice Cream Sandwich Day

August 2 - National Ice Cream Sandwich Day

This is my family's favorite cake.                                                                                                          It is from an awesome blog called mommyskitchen.net. 


Ice Cream Sandwich Cake ~


I can't remember the first time I had an Ice Cream Sandwich Cake. But what I do remember is how I instantly loved this cake as soon as I tasted it. I was even more surprised when I found out all this cake was is store bought ice cream sandwiches all dressed up. How easy is that!

Have you ever noticed the price of an ice cream cake in the store? It's crazy if you ask me. Why pay that price when you can easily make this cake yourself at home. I like to take this cake to parties and summer picnics. In fact I think this year I will be making this cake for my son's birthday next summer.

The great thing about this cake is you can dress it up in so many different ways. Interchange ice cream sandwiches, ice cream toppings and all sorts of different candies. You can use chocolate, butterscotch, caramel or marshmallow. Select a candy toppings according to your ice cream topping flavor it's as easy as that. If using chocolate I would go with crushed whoppers, Oreo's, chocolate chips, m&m's or any type of cake sprinkle.

If using butterscotch or caramel topping go with crushed butterfingers, snickers or heath bar bits. Another great flavor combination is smuckers marshmallow topping with plain or chocolate cool whip and chocolate chips. So you see there are so many flavor combinations. In the end this cake will look delicious and highly impressive, and no one will realize it took less than 20 minutes to make.

So today I am bringing a yummy ice cream sandwich cake to our Sunday Potluck. Do you have a recipe you would like to bring to the potluck? If so then link directly to your post not your homepage. Please include a link back to Mommy's Kitchen, so everyone can view all of the delicious recipes. I can't wait to see what everyone is bringing. In usual fashion the full recipe is at the end of this post.

Here are a few step by step pictures on how easy this ice cream cake is to make. I ended up only getting to do a single layer because my kiddos snuck into the ice cream sandwiches before I could use them. Don't you hate that when that happens? Speaking of kid's this is the perfect cake for the kids to make all by themselves. By the photos above Carson enjoyed eating more than helping. He can be such a slacker sometimes.

I hope you enjoy the recipe.



Ice Cream Sandwich Cake

20 - regular ice cream sandwiches
1 - 12 - 16 oz container cool whip
1 - 16 oz jar Hershey's hot fudge ice cream topping
1 - cup crushed whoppers candies, Oreo cookies,
m&m's, chocolate chips, festive sprinkles,
heath bar bits or crushed butterfingers

Layer a 9 x 13 pan with ten ice cream sandwiches. (you may have to cut one in half to fit in the middle). Next spread a layer of hot fudge topping on top of the ice cream sandwiches. Then spread half of the cool whip on top of the fudge topping.

Repeat the layers again ending with cool whip. Top with crushed whoppers, chocolate chips or any candy topping of your choice. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for 5-7 hours. If making this to take to a friends house or party you can us a 9x13 inch disposable aluminum pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...